Just so you are warned, this salad is fantastic. I mean, wake up in the morning excited that there are left overs, can't hardly wait for it to be an acceptable hour to start eating salad, fantastic.
I'm a huge fan of brussels sprouts, but normally I get a bit boring with them, cooking up the same combination of blue cheese, bacon, and red wine vinegar. This salad was a welcoming change.
The recipe makes a large amount and it actually holds up quite well in the refrigerator.
recipe adapted from: Shutterbean
* Note: Adjust vinegar to your taste. Recipe called for all apple cider vinegar. I added red wine vinegar as it has a milder taste.
- 24 brussels sprouts, stems removed, rinsed, shredded
- 1 cup toasted walnuts, chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
- 9 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar *
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar *
- 2-3 teaspoons dijon mustard
- salt & pepper, to taste
Using a food processor (or simply a knife) shred the brussels sprouts.
Toast walnuts over medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
Toss the brussels sprouts in a large bowl with toasted walnuts and grated cheese.
In a small jar, add the olive oil, apple cider vinegar, red wine vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Shake until combined.
Pour the dressing over the salad and mix thoroughly.